I'm on my way to the American Immigration Lawyers Association Conference in San Francisco and just read that the US Supreme Court in Hollingsworth v. Perry nixed section 3 of DOMA as well as Prop 8 in the Windsor case (at least as to standing to be in court). I'll be going through the decisions over the next few days. Already, our phones are ringing off the hook with couples who have been waiting for this historic moment for years. More to follow, as I'm sure there will be several gatherings at the conference to mull over the myriad of legal issues sure to follow. The main message, though, is that just as for heterosexual couples, just being able to lawfully marry is NOT a guarantee of ability to lawfully immigrate. And neither decision means that every state in the US must recognize same-sex marriage. There are many issues to consider and careful planning and a thorough analysis for each couple is a must. Our Seattle based immigration law firm handles these types of cases. Stay tuned and check out the firm Facebook page for additional updates as well as ImmigrationEquality.org.
- Immigration Reform (25)
- Family Immigration Visas and Green Cards (23)
- Business Immigration Visas and Green Cards (21)
- US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (21)
- US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) (9)
- US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) (15)
- U.S. Department of State (DOS) (7)
- US Department of Labor (DOL) (3)
- Border Enforcement (8)
- Citizenship and Naturalization (9)
- Arizona SB 1070 (5)
- Seattle or Washington Immigration Issues (8)
- Removal & Immigration Courts (9)
- Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami (2)
- Military & Immigration (4)
- Waivers - provisional, stateside, family unity (3)
- Law Office of Bonnie Stern Wasser, Firm News (1)
- Immigration Issues Culture & Entertainment (1)
March 4, 2014 March 31, 2014 Deadline to Reopen Denied DOMA Cases March 31, 2014 is the deadline to reopen I-130 visa petitions that were denied by...
March 1, 2014 DACA Status Expiring Soon? Prepare for Renewals USCIS has released some preliminary guidance about the first batch of DACA recipients approaching the...
February 28, 2014 Seattle Opera Performs "The Consul" I had the privilege of seeing the Seattle Opera perform "The Consul." This Gian Carlo...
February 22, 2014 Seattle Attorney Wasser Speaks on National Interest Waivers at NW AILA Conference I had the pleasure and honor to speak on a panel about EB-1 and EB-2...
February 12, 2014 New Form I-9 Videos Posted by USCIS USCIS has released some new instructional videos to help employers and their employees properly complete...
February 6, 2014 DACA Update On February 6, 2014, USCIS posted it's latest statistics about the Deferred Action for Childhood...
- The Blog@Homeland Security (Various Authors)
- The Beacon: USCIS Blog (Various Authors)
- Dipnote: State Department Blog (Various Authors)
- Department of Labor Blog (Various Authors)
- The White House Blog (Various Authors)
- AILA Leadership Blog (Various Authors)
- Blog of the American Immigration Council (Various Authors)
- OneAmerica Blog (Various Authors)
- Seattle Immigration Lawyer Blog (Bonnie Stern Wasser)