I'm on my way to the American Immigration Lawyers Association Conference in San Francisco and just read that the US Supreme Court in Hollingsworth v. Perry nixed section 3 of DOMA as well as Prop 8 in the Windsor case (at least as to standing to be in court). I'll be going through the decisions over the next few days. Already, our phones are ringing off the hook with couples who have been waiting for this historic moment for years. More to follow, as I'm sure there will be several gatherings at the conference to mull over the myriad of legal issues sure to follow. The main message, though, is that just as for heterosexual couples, just being able to lawfully marry is NOT a guarantee of ability to lawfully immigrate. And neither decision means that every state in the US must recognize same-sex marriage. There are many issues to consider and careful planning and a thorough analysis for each couple is a must. Our Seattle based immigration law firm handles these types of cases. Stay tuned and check out the firm Facebook page for additional updates as well as ImmigrationEquality.org.
- Immigration Reform (28)
- Family Immigration Visas and Green Cards (23)
- Business Immigration Visas and Green Cards (23)
- US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) (21)
- US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) (9)
- US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) (15)
- U.S. Department of State (DOS) (7)
- US Department of Labor (DOL) (3)
- Border Enforcement (8)
- Citizenship and Naturalization (9)
- Arizona SB 1070 (5)
- Seattle or Washington Immigration Issues (8)
- Removal & Immigration Courts (9)
- Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami (2)
- Military & Immigration (4)
- Waivers - provisional, stateside, family unity (3)
- Law Office of Bonnie Stern Wasser, Firm News (1)
- Immigration Issues Culture & Entertainment (1)
April 10, 2014 USCIS Receives 172,500 H-1B Petitions The H-1B cap situation is even worse than last year, which means employers are continuing...
April 10, 2014 Immigration Lawyers Meet With Congress in D.C. Today Immigration lawyers from around the U.S. are in Washington, D.C. today to visit their legislators...
April 3, 2014 Kauffman Studies Show Immigrant Entrepreneurs Make Economic Contribution to the USA Here at the Seattle immigration Law Office of Bonnie Stern Wasser, we enjoy working with...
March 26, 2014 House Dems Want Vote on Immigration Reform Bill Now Democrats in the House of Representatives are trying to force a vote on H.R. 15,...
March 12, 2014 L-1B Denial and RFE Report Impacts Entrepreneurs A March 2014 report by the National Foundation for American Policy shows that USCIS has...
March 4, 2014 March 31, 2014 Deadline to Reopen Denied DOMA Cases March 31, 2014 is the deadline to reopen I-130 visa petitions that were denied by...
- The Blog@Homeland Security (Various Authors)
- The Beacon: USCIS Blog (Various Authors)
- Dipnote: State Department Blog (Various Authors)
- Department of Labor Blog (Various Authors)
- The White House Blog (Various Authors)
- AILA Leadership Blog (Various Authors)
- Blog of the American Immigration Council (Various Authors)
- OneAmerica Blog (Various Authors)